![]() |
My top 3 favorite ways to reduce stress!
As I am writing this blog post, it is 4:27AM, I have not slept at all, and I have been working all night on what feels like endless assignments. I was so stressed I could not sleep, soinstead of tossing and turning all night, I decided to try and be productive. In a few hours I will get ready for my four hour design class, then another, try to find time to do more homework, apply for scholarships and internships, call my family, and keep up my friendships that are suffering because I'm "never around" and too "busy" to go out. The point is, I am stressed. And I am so tired, because I haven't slept, but also because I am constantly stressed. I know I'm not the only college student who feels this way, so i thought I'd share my top 3 favorite ways to reduce stress!
Sleep.
I know right? Sounds so simple, "just get some sleep". Sadly it's not that simple, because stress causes many people to lose sleep and some people even stress over losing sleep. Trying to complete daily tasks sleep deprived is not ideal and will not help with your stress levels. That being said, trying to stick to a routine sleep schedule that gives you 8-10 hours for your body to recharge, is crucial. I've tried tons of different sleeping aids because when I am stressed I cannot turn my brain off at night. ZQuil, decaf tea, and milk and honey are helpful, but it also helps if you are not on your phone/computer right before bed.Taking time for yourself
My #1 flaw is that I focus on a million external things and always forget to reflect on how I am doing. I always feel this pressure to be involved and do stuff, and its great to go out and share experiences with your friends and make memories that will last a lifetime. However, it is okay to say no. It is okay to say "No, I don't want to go out, I want to sleep and watch Friends." It is okay to take care of yourself before you take care of others. Just like how on an airplane, you are always advised to put on your oxygen mask first, and then you can help those around you. You cannot give 100% to someone if you cannot even give 100% to yourself.Be Grateful
It is easy to get wrapped up in our problems and to feel like its the end of the world. But you are breathing and your heart is pumping blood. You have chances and opportunities some people may never get. I like to remind myself that I am so grateful I can hear summer country music and see the seasons change with my own eyes. Realizing how blessed you are, even in the tiniest ways, almost has a calming affect in itself.xoxo,
Emelia Weir
p.s checkout this blog about sleep! http://sandandsuch.com/

Comments
Post a Comment